Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tool 9


  1. Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective? To me, there is no point in using the technology if it isn't being used to teach something. Otherwise, the kids are just playing around with an electronic toy and getting nothing educational out of it.
  2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers? I think this ties with the answer above. While many students will do the right thing, if we don't hold them accountable, there's a good chance some students will just play around with the devices and not use them for educational purposes.
  3. Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? I liked IXL, which I found by visiting Learning Games for Kids (which wasn't that impressive.) IXL had some fun math games on it that I thought the students could enjoy during math workstations. I also thought Tutpup was cool. I know many students are competitive and would enjoy competing with other students. I could use it during math or literacy work stations. I like the idea of a Google Doc that they sign in to or write a sentence or 2 explaining what they did in their work stations notebooks.
  4. List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? I liked 1st Grade Math Splash. It looks fun, and it hits all the TEKS for 1st grade math. It would work great for math workstations. I'd have students also write in their math workstations journals either a few of their favorite problems or explain anything that was a challenge for them. I also liked Shake and Spell, although I'm not sure it's free. (On my phone, it was 99 cents.) If it is free, I think it would be a fun addition to Word Work for Daily 5. I'd have kids write some of the words they made in their Daily 5 workstations notebook.
  5. What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station. I'd like to download some of my books on tape/CD to the touches so kids can do Listen to Reading during Daily 5 without having to navigate an ancient CD/tape player.

No comments:

Post a Comment